Saturday, October 15, 2011

Meet Brett Dennen, One of the best songwriters out there.

I am one of those, who grew up listening to Dylan songs. For every occasion in my life, I used to have a song by Dylan, that said it all better than I could ever, myself.

These days, words don't mean much in the music that is created. Even if the words are the main focus of the songwriter, the listener rarely seems to focus on the words...... well .... other than the times we need a status update for our social networking profiles.


Yet I seem to really focus on words, and consequently on the melody. In recent times, I've not come across words as profound as in, the songs of Brett Dennen. According to Wikipedia, he is 31, but he neither sounds or looks like 31. At best he looks like, he is just outa high school.

One of the first songs of Brett Dennen I heard was - Ain't no Reason. As soon as I heard this song, I got chills, deep into my bones. Every word rang true, and words hadn't had an effect on me, quite like this since Dylan. Here is a verse from that song.

The wind blows wild and I may move
But politicians lie and I am not fooled
You don't need no reason or a three piece suit, to argue the truth
The air on my skin and the world under my toes
Slavery is stitched into the fabric of my clothes
Chaos and commotion wherever I go
Love, I try to follow

This was from his second album "So much more". All the songs in this album are great, which is very rare these days. But if I had to chose the songs that stand out the most. I'd pick - Ain't No Reason, She's Mine, The one who loves you the most, I asked When, When You feel it, Someday.

His music has been featured on the soundtrack of some awesome T.V shows known for their soundtracks. This includes, Scrubs, Greys Anatomy, Ugly Betty and House. Brett has also supported tours with artists such as John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz and Dave Matthews. Rolling Stones has labeled him as the "Artist to Watch" in 2008.

After this he has released two albums - Hope for the Hopeless and Loverboy. Loverboy was released this year, and focuses allot on groovy melodies. Both Hope for the Hopeless and Loverboy are equally captivating, as his earlier work. I recommend you get his discography, hit the play button and get lost in great melody, toped with great words.

No comments:

Post a Comment